Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Sometimes...

http://www.katemessner.com/teachers-write-625-tuesday-quick-write-sometimes/

Today, Kate Messner had asked us (me) to write a poem about a place that I love. What I see, what I smell, what I hear, what I taste, what I feel, and what I wonder when I am there.

The first obstacle to tackle is my favorite place. Here 'goes:

Rehoboth
Grandmom's house
The driver's seat of my old car
At the drive-in
My bed

Ok, now that I've done that, here's my poem:


Sometimes...
When I lie in bed, the fan blows its cool breath against my hair,
Using it to tickle my face and scalp,
To raise awareness of parts of me I sometimes forget exist.

To forget part of you exists...
When one is enveloped in the arms of worry,
Sometimes it is easy to forget about being alive.

Breathing in long, perfume laced breaths,
My toes curl beneath cool linen sheets speckled with turquoise and lime green polka dots.
My chest bobbles up and down in a sea of vines that seem to grow along the bedspread with each breath.

Everything I touch in this room is alive.
I turn to my side to kiss a peaceful dreamer, and
I remember what life is all about, and how precious it is.

-DR

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Dalin.
    First of all, I love the name and design of your blog. It's so beautifully descriptive of what most of us feel as writers.

    Secondly, I was so drawn in by your poem. It really surprised me. At first I thought I would be treated to a sensory buffet with your first stanza. And then your second stanza brings to light a little bit of the troubles that keep some of us up at night. And then finally, you remind us of things that are really important, and that might just be enough to allow us to drift off to sleep. I love your start to Teachers Write and look forward to your future contributions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the compliments! It's a great way to start off writing this summer. :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful blog and poem! I can't wait to see more from you!

    ReplyDelete